To plan, implement, and manage Federal and State initiatives focused on passenger transportation programs, which create greater opportunities for personal mobility and access.
The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) has been designated as the recipient of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) programs [formerly known as the Urban Mass Transportation Administration (UMTA)] for the purpose of administering those funds in accordance with State and Federal laws, statutes, and regulations. The Public Transportation Programs Section provides day-to-day oversight, technical assistance, and fiscal management of FTA programs.
- Achieve the most cost-effective use of Federal, State and local resources for passenger transportation programs.
- Promote safety, security, and quality in the delivery of public and human service transportation.
- Maximize coordination opportunities at all levels.
- Ensure equity within funding programs.
- Seek new and innovative approaches to meeting needs of the transportation dependent.
- Provide a mechanism for supporting and enhancing the role of public transportation in intermodal modeling.
- Forge partnerships among interest groups.
- Develop new techniques for incorporating the Public Transportation Management System into the planning and management
The Transit Section is responsible for administering and monitoring federal and state transit programs. Through these programs Transit Section staff provides technical and financial assistance to local agencies and governments involved in special transportation and intercity passenger service. Transportation, especially in our rural areas, is literally a lifeline to much of our state's population. The Department's goal is to help Arkansans live an independent, quality lifestyle by assisting organizations in providing safe and reliable transportation.
Click here for the staff organizational chart (.pdf)